Modern businesses are constantly in need of new kinds of information to stay competitive and profitable. Often, they turn to computers to deliver this information. However, computers are generalists. They can be used in all kinds of different ways to serve the information needs of business people. These can be listed as below:
1. STRING AND ORGANISING INFORMATION: Storing and organizing data is the central purpose of a database and computers are used most commonly for that. So, the types of data are growing rapidly. For e.g. If we consider a typical video rental store we find that all those movies can be digitalized and stored in a database. Therefore, in the near future we will be able to turn on our television (which will be equipped with a computer) and download the move we want to watch from a database.
2. SEARCHING FOR INFORMATION: Computers help the decision makers find relevant data buried in large collections of irrelevant data. Once, a set of data has been collected and stored in a database, it is relatively easy for the computer to search the database for specific items. Searching for information takes place constantly on the world wide web, where people use search tools such as Lycos and Yahoo! To find th information they need. These search tools work by continually updating databases about the sits on the web. We actually searching a database on the web that summarizes information that can be found ton the web.
3. TRANSLATING INFORMATION BETWEEN FORMATS: Computers also can be used to translate information from one format to another. For example. A table of numbers can be displayed as a box or pie chart. The same information is provided in both the table and the bar chart, but the different formats suit different purposes.
4. PLANNING FOR THE PURPOSE: Computers are used to plan for the future. For example budgets are often created using spreadsheets. In many cases, the values in the budgets are hypothetical. Business people can plug in different values to determine how a product can be manufactured in the most cost-effective way.
5. CREATING PRODUCTS: There are many types of creative endeavors that are accompanied with computers. Businesses in advertising and the entertainment industry are constantly creating images, sounds and animated effects. Draining and painting programs; MIDI tools for creating and recording music; and a host of advanced video tools help artists to create digital art. Then creating with words is almost always done with word processing software.
6. COMPUNICATING IDEAS: Finally businesses use computers extensively for communication. Workers today send email or leave voice mail. They can also hold on screen conferences in real time. Business people use word processing software constantly to generate memos and correspondence.
Thus, the computer helps business in these ways. The business software they use are
VERTICAL APPLICATIONS: These are programs that perform every phase of critical business function such as accounting, order entry or payroll.
PERSONAL PRRODUCTIVITY APPLICATIONS: They are designed to help individual employees do their work effectively. For example word processing programs, spreadsheets and graphics programs.
WORK GROUP APPLICATIONS: They are programs design to make combinations of individual more effective as they work together toward common goals. Many of these applications require special equipment and significant computing power.